The Tool for Exploratory Landscape Scenario Analyses (TELSA) works with the Vegetation Dynamics Development Tool (VDDT), which is a non-spatial state-and-transition model. Models developed in VDDT are a key input for TELSA. We strongly recommend that you develop non-spatial models with VDDT before moving to TELSA.
Visit the VDDT download page to register with the Software Coordinator and download the program.
When you are confident that your non-spatial VDDT models satisfactorily represent the ecological relationships that interest you, use the link below to register with the Software Coordinator and download the TELSA installation package.
Download TELSA and Documentation
[ZIP - 40.5 mb]
- Create a temporary folder and extract the contents of the TELSA zip file into it. You should see 2 zip archives: TELSAInstall.zip and TELSA Spatial Tools.zip. TELSAInstall.zip contains the install file for the main TELSA program (which includes a user guide and spatial data setup tools for ArcView 3.x), and TELSA Spatial Tools.zip contains install files for a beta spatial tools program designed to work with ArcGIS 9.2 or 9.3. The spatial tools install files also come bundled with release notes, a brief help document, and installation instructions. Read more about TELSA Spatial Tools here.
- If you have a previous version of TELSA, please save all your data and uninstall the prior version first before proceeding.
- Open the zip archive that contains the main TELSA program install file, and extract the file into your temporary folder. Double-click on TELSAInstall.exe to begin the installation.Windows Vista and Windows 7 users must install TELSA as an administrator. To do this, right-click on the installation file and select Run as Administrator from the context-sensitive menu.
- If you are an ArcView user, go to Step 6. If you are an ArcGIS user, check the system requirements (below) before continuing your installation with Step 5.
- Open the zip archive that contains the beta spatial tools for ArcGIS, and extract the files into your temporary folder. Run setup.exe to begin the installation, and follow the spatial tools installation instructions to complete your installation.
- Before you begin working with TELSA, navigate to where you installed the program. In the Database folder, make a copy of the blank TELSA database (TotBlank.mdb) and save it in a working folder somewhere else on your computer. You can name this database anything you wish. Right-click on the new database file, select Properties and uncheck Read Only to make the file read-writable. This is your working database.
- The final step in the installation process is ODBC setup. See the User Guide for detailed instructions about this process. For 64 bit Windows Vista and Windows 7 users, navigate to C:\ Windows\SysWOW64\ and run the file odbcad32.exe first (right-click and Run as Administrator), then follow the instructions in the User Guide.
TELSA Spatial Tools for ArcGIS – System Requirements
The TELSA Spatial Tools (beta) for ArcGIS is an extension to ESRI’s ArcGIS Desktop software, accessible through an ArcMap toolbar. As such ArcGIS must be installed, together with the Microsoft Framework interoperability files, before attempting to install the TELSA Spatial Tools. Refer to the ESRI web site for more information on ArcGIS system requirements and compatibility. In addition to the ArcGIS system requirements, the following system requirements must be met before installing the TELSA Spatial Tools:
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (only limited testing has been conducted on Vista);
- ESRI ArcGIS Desktop 9.2, 9.3 or 9.3.1, installed and registered prior installing the TELSA Spatial Tools;
- .NET Framework version 2.0 Service Pack 2 (installed before ArcGIS);
- Certain features of the toolbox (e.g., the Tessellator) require ArcGIS Spatial Analyst to be licensed and installed;
- At least 500Mb free RAM; and
- 10Mb of hard drive space, plus additional space for storing the toolbox outputs.
This is a trial version of TELSA’s spatial tools for ArcGIS, and is still under development and testing. See TELSA_Spatial_ReleaseNotes.txt, included in the ZIP file download, for a list of known issues. Feedback on any additional issues that might be encountered is welcome!
To report an issue, please document the details in an email and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include information about your operating system, your version of ArcGIS, which .NET Framework version(s) you have installed, and which ESRI service pack you are running.
Download TELSA Spatial Tools
The TELSA Spatial Tools application is included in the main TELSA download package. If you already have TELSA installed but would like to download the latest version of the TELSA Spatial Tools only, use the link below. You must uninstall any previous version of the TELSA Spatial Tools before installing this latest version.
The current TELSA Spatial Tools release is version 6.2:
Download TELSA Spatial Tools
[ZIP - 828 kb]
Note to Windows Vista and Windows 7 Users
WinHlp32.exe is required to run 32-bit Help files (with the .hlp file name extension). Starting with Windows Vista, this application is no longer being shipped as a feature of Windows. To view *.hlp files on computers with Windows Vista or later operating systems, you will need to download the WinHlp32.exe application from the Microsoft Download Center. Once you have WinHlp32.exe installed on your machine, you can view *.hlp files for any application, including TELSA and VDDT.
For more information on TELSA, please contact the Software Coordinator.