Environmental & Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) services – the art and science of evaluating the impacts of human activities – is continually evolving. ESIA represents a core area of ESSA’s business; we have been leaders in developing and applying best practices for some 35 years. We combine years of experience, a participatory approach, and leading–edge analytical and research methods to meet the entire spectrum of clients’ needs.
Our approach combines practical knowledge gained through conducting ESIAs of specific projects with extensive expertise preparing procedural and technical guidance for the field of ESIA. ESSA brings natural and social science expertise and environmental information technology tools to our ESIA practice. Our ESIA services include:
- conducting ESIAs and strategic environmental assessments for proponents;
- conducting independent reviews and analysis of the technical content of ESIA documents for governments and stakeholders (e.g. First Nations) in North America;
- conducting independent reviews and analysis of the technical content of ESIA documents for International Financial Institutions in accordance with international standards such as the IFC Performance Standards, World Bank Group Environmental, Health & Safety Guidelines, and the Equator Principles;
- developing policies, regulations and guidance;
- facilitation and mediation in the ESIA process; and
- guidance and training to develop institutional capacity.