Natural resource management and decision making require tools to assess the trade-offs between alternative choices. Our Ecological Modelling team has many years of experience in the design, development, and application of models and environmental information systems in the areas of aquatic and terrestrial ecosystem management.
Many of these models are designed using the approach and methods of Adaptive Management. As the success of a resource management model is defined by its actual use, we work closely with our clients during all stages of model development and implementation.
Planning and multi-stakeholder participation
Conducting workshops for scoping, issue definition, knowledge engineering, model design, and the development of adaptive management plans
Scientifically credible models
Developing, applying, and assessing computer simulation models, to explore alternative scenarios, trade-off’s and management options.
Monitoring and auditing
Increasing understanding through the design of monitoring programs and analysis of results that is critical to adaptive management.
Our approach has produced successful models that are used throughout North America. In addition to the development, documentation and implementation of models, we provide:
- training and user support,
- assessment of the decision support requirements of resource managers,
- reviews and syntheses on the state of the science related to ecological modelling,
- model audits and assessments that examine model performance and integrity, and
- development of strategic management plans and research programs.