ESSA has developed a corporate responsibility policy that addresses the following goals:
- help sustain healthy ecosystems and healthy human communities by encouraging actions that have the most tangible effect on our environment and communities;
- work collaboratively to ensure actions have support from all staff and respect differences in individual behaviour and motivations for change;
- maintain financial sustainability by ensuring actions taken are affordable both in the short-term and long-term; and
- support personal balance by ensuring actions do not onerously impose on individual or corporate workloads.
ESSA recognizes that corporate responsibility requires an ongoing effort that changes over time to meet new needs and new goals. The following is a list of recent changes and accomplishments:
- ESSA staff had 100% participation in the 2012 Commuter Challenge, and we hope to accomplish the same in future years.
- From 2007 to 2012 we participated in the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup. We plan to make this a yearly activity.
- Our old computer equipment is donated to Free Geek.
- The Vancouver office buys office supplies exclusively from FrogFile.
- Vancouver office kitchen waste is composted by several thousand of our smallest co-workers (Eisenia fetida).